I’m going apply the WATER Method to my own life, so you have a better understanding of what I do to keep it together and still gro people every day.
Let me start by saying that last week was probably one of the hardest weeks I’ve ever had. I didn’t say worst, because as bad as it was, life is still pretty good., and I have a lot to be thankful for. However, I have obtained a newfound appreciation for parents, and all the hats they have to wear.
Be that as it may, I’ll share with you the issues that have been stressing me out, and what I did to manage them.
Let’s start with my list of stressors.
– Cleaning my house
– Working on my own business
– Taking care of my wife, as she’s pregnant
– Making sure I’m good to my animals
– Managing the Finances
– Dealing with my own personal issues
– Keeping cool to manage other people’s issues
OK, so now that I have my list, the next step is to separate them into what I can and can’t change.
What I CAN’T change:
– My wife’s feelings
– Whether or not clients show up for sessions
– Other people’s issues (until we work on them together)
– My wife’s pregnancy (we ARE keeping the baby)
What I CAN change:
– Cleaning my house (Actions, Results)
– My Feelings & Issues (Words, Thoughts & Emotions)
– How I conduct my business (Actions, Results, & Thoughts)
– Taking care of my animals (Actions)
– Taking care of my wife, and how much I do it (Actions & Results)
– Keeping the finances in line (Thoughts & Actions)
See that? So what I do form there is take the things I can’t change and resolve that I can’t change them. No matter how hard I try, stressing out about them isn’t going to change those things from being beyond my control.
So by accepting that I can’t change them, and resolving this, I let go of them, and choose not to think about them (remember processing vs. stuffing?). Then I take action on the things that I can change, and utilize my energy toward making those improvements.
As a result, I’m more on top of my finances, my housework, and my wife and I have come up with ways to keep working together despite her staying home to sit on the egg.
Does this help explain the WATER Method better? Talk to me people. 🙂